Q. What is TRaM?
TRaM stands for Translating Research at Melbourne.
TRaM is a suite of experiential programs designed specifically for the research community to build researcher capability in research commercialisation, with guidance and support from experienced research commercialisation experts, mentors and advisors.
The program consists of four components: TRaMx (two days), TRaM Track (eight weeks, one day per week), TRaM Runway (12 weeks, one day per week) and TRaM Air (extended incubation and coaching).
Q. What does TRaM offer?
TRaM offers a suite of four experiential professional development programs:
- A two-day experiential workshop that serves as part of the selection process for the ‘TRaM Track’ program
- Addresses the question “who cares?”
- Get exposure to key approaches and frameworks for success
- Test if your research solves a problem that people care about
- Meet like-minded researchers
- An experiential eight-week program (one day per week) to sequentially work through the Lean LaunchPad curriculum to assess “problem:solution fit” as it applies to each team’s opportunity
- Addresses “what do customers want?”
- Find customers who have a critical problem to solve
- Design and test “experiments” to identify a business model
- Start to build a business team
- Teams are led though market validation and business model generation based on iteratively interviewing end users and potential customers.
- Acts as the selection process for Runway program
- An experiential 12-week program (one day per week) for each team to further develop and validate its business model and to progress its commercial planning
- Addresses the question “can we deliver it?”
- Develop and validate your business model
- Connect to external advisors to accelerate impact
- Strengthen your team
- Co-location with the program leaders and mentors
- Teams have access to funds for commercial advancement (provided by the team’s faculty or institute) to accelerate commercial insight
- A research commercialisation incubator available to TRaM alumni teams and alumni from similar programs
- Ongoing support to assist teams on their business journey
- Access to office space, co-located with the program team, mentors and other TRaM graduates
Q. Who should apply?
Those who want to:
- improve their understanding and skills in research commercialisation
- explore alternate career paths for researchers
- explore alternate ways to deliver research impact
- explore taking your research to market
- in a safe and supportive environment.
Q. What are the benefits of getting involved?
TRaM’s programs are designed specifically for the researcher community. TRaM teams receive:
- Structured training, mentoring and network development
- Up to $25K funding per team to accelerate commercial insight (subject to conditions)
- Hosting at TRaM’s office at Level 5, 204 Lygon Street, and access the broader entrepreneurship network.