Why we collect your personal information
The main purposes for which Melbourne Connect collects and processes personal information is to:
- manage accounts created by individuals in relation to an event and communicate with them about their participation in an event
- promote Melbourne Connect services and activities, including through direct communications
- run and manage events
- register subscription to our email newsletter
- administer general account management, planning and administration
- enhance the experience of visitors to Melbourne Connect and provide facilities and resources, including Wi-Fi access
- inform analysis, quality assurance, reporting and service planning
- manage security, safety, and facility operations at Melbourne Connect.
We consider that our lawful basis for collecting and processing your personal information is that it is necessary to facilitate your interest in Melbourne Connect services, activities and events.
How we collect and use your personal information
We only process personal information as necessary and in accordance with relevant Privacy Laws. We will only use or disclose your personal information under the following circumstances:
- for the purpose for which it was collected
- for a related purpose which you might reasonably expect
- where you have consented to the disclosure
- if we are required or permitted to do so by law
- where it is necessary for the pursuit of our legitimate interests
- where we have engaged a contracted service provider or partner to perform legitimate functions on our behalf, such as those outlined in the privacy collection notice.
We will collect your personal information directly from you wherever possible. However, where this is not practicable, we may collect information you have provided through other avenues, such as:
- event seating plans, guest lists or dietary requirements provided to us by contractors engaged by Melbourne Connect to facilitate events.
We may share your personal information with:
- the University of Melbourne, a major partner of Melbourne Connect, to centrally manage our promotional communications and undertake data analysis
- contractors engaged by Melbourne Connect to run events or facilitate services
In some cases, you choose not to provide information requested, Melbourne Connect may not be able to facilitate your attendance at an event or provide the requested service.
In some instances, your personal information may be transferred outside of Victoria or Australia (for example, where providers are located internationally or use a cloud-based system with servers based in international jurisdictions). We take all reasonable steps to ensure that the interstate or overseas transfer of personal information is in accordance with our privacy obligations as outlined in the University’s General Privacy Statement
University’s General Privacy Statement and your rights
Refer to the University’s General Privacy Statement for general information about how we process personal information, including:
- collection, use and disclosure of personal information;
- accuracy, security and storage of personal information;
- your individual rights; and
- applicable Privacy Laws.
You may request access to, or correction of, your personal information we hold, or exercise your individual rights as applicable (including under GDPR if applicable), unless this would have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others or would contravene the University’s other legislative obligations.
If the lawful collection of your personal information is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of our processing of your information prior to you withdrawing your consent.
For further information you can contact us at email@example.com.